...one of the greatest privileges of a human life is to become midwife to the birth of the soul in another. When your soul awakens, you begin to truly inherit your life. You leave the Kingdom of fake surfaces, repetitive talk and weary roles and slip deeper into the true adventure of who you are and who you are called to become. The greatest friend of the soul is the unknown...
John O'Donohue

Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm a lucky girl!

Well, I know I’m a lucky girl for many reasons, but the reason I am writing about today is my Fijian birthday celebration – what a special day I had! A beautiful place, surrounded by beautiful people, a cake that was both gorgeous and delicious, songs sung in my honor, a breathtaking Frangi Pani salusalu made just for me, and gifts of mango fruit (and a new skirt!!) from my children, and all the grog I could drink – I just don’t know how a birthday could possibly get any better. And when I checked my email and Facebook, there were so many birthday wishes waiting for me! It was a day I will carry in my heart forever, I know.

Yes, I am most certainly a lucky, lucky girl!


On another note, I am really, really missing my camera these days. It's really like a piece of me is missing! It is looking good that it will be replaced through insurance, but will likely take a while. Ugh. In the meantime, we do have a little point and shoot camera that we have been using - I have some photos I am eager to share, but just need to get some time where there is a fast enough connection to upload them. Hoping to do that this week! We also have some great video to share - but need to download some software to make it compatible with our Mac before we can upload them. All in due time!

The kiddos have a busy social life these days - B & O had an overnight with some Fijian friends last weekend, and B & L are staying overnight tonight at Alexandra and Makenzie's house tonight, an Aussie family who owns the local sawmill in Labasa. They're house is a more Western set up than any we've seen here in Fiji - complete with an inground pool with a trampoline next to it (think diving board!), television with satellite, microwave, refrigerator. Bethie and Lucas have a lot of fun with the girls - I have to admit the pool with the trampoline looks like a lot of fun - I think I need to try that out!

Ollie has been as busy as ever with his Fijian life - the boy is CONSTANTLY collecting bait and cajoling a Fijian into taking him fishing. And whatever he catches, he asks that it is fried whole (the Fijian way!) and he eats it - head, tail, eyes and all.

It's been a busy, productive week on the island. The kitchen has got a fresh coat of paint, Jone (Jimmy's tattoo artist) came back to Vorovoro and is putting his talents to work by improving the look of things around the island with his artistic skills - I can't wait to post some pics of his work. Lots of cleaning up around the island, some new planting done around the new office in Tanoa Park, and the old breakfast table was repaired. I even scrubbed the compost toilet stalls, top to bottom. They *almost* sparkle now!

We also had a visit on Thursday from Chuck, Susie and their kiddos, along with visiting friends of theirs and their 4 children. It was so nice to see them again, and all the extra kids on the island is always fun.

The rainy season has officially arrived - haven't seen the sun in days now, and it rains constantly. Makes me feel very, very sleepy - I love to sleep to the sound of the rain on my tin roof! It's such good weather for snuggling up with a book and a nap! The downside is that everything, and everyone, is always wet. Drying clothes is nearly impossible - we just settle for slightly dampish. But the upside is unlimited showers - woohoo!

Planning to do some ornament making and Christmas preparation this week - it doesn't yet feel like Christmas at all here, unless you go into a shop in Labasa, where you are likely to see lots of tinsel and hear Christmas music blasting. There was even one of those HUGE inflated snowmen on the sidewalk today.

Hope everyone back home is happy and well! As always thanks for the notes and emails - keep 'em coming please! You have no idea how much we love hearing from you!

Love,

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful 34th, I am so sorry that this is a belated b-day wish, my friend! Here is an Irish (imagine that!) blessing to you from me: When the first light of sun
    Bless you
    When the long day is done
    Bless you
    In your smiles and your tears
    Bless you
    Through each day of your years
    Bless you

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much love to you and your family from me and my family. namaste

    ReplyDelete